God created all things thru JESUS CHRIST Col 1:16
Bible`s scientific foreknowledge
Scientific Foreknowledge in the Bible
TITLE: Scientific Foreknowledge in the Bible
PROPOSITION: In this lesson we will look at some facts of science that the Bible
declares factual which were not discovered by scientists until recently.
OBJECTIVES: That each would understand that the Bible displays sufficient
scientific foreknowledge to prove its inspiration.
AIM: To help each one be confident in the Bible as God's inspired book.
1. In the beginning there was nothing. And suddenly for no reason nothing
exploded and created everything. You expect me to believe that?
2. At some point, by chance the right chemicals happened to float together at
just the right moment to be struck by an electrical charge and become life.
You expect me to believe that?
3. Somewhere two non-human mothers each gave birth to a human child.
They were born at the same time and in the same place, one was male and
one was female. These two new "humans" gave birth to the human race.
You expect me to believe that?
4. One of the descendants of these first humans was born with a knowledge
of right and wrong. No longer driven by instinct, this person suddenly was
making decisions based on a morality for which there is no real
explanation. You expect me to believe that?
I'm sorry. I don't have that much blind faith . It's all just too farfetched to be
anything more than a fairy tale. I can't believe intelligent people claim it is
"science" 1 Timothy 6:20 – “O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy
trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so
Genesis 1:1 - “Genesis 1:1In the beginning God created the heavens and the
A. Read: Psalm 147:5 – “Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His
understanding is infinite.”
B. About the Text:
1. God is the God of all knowledge and His knowledge is infinite.
2. While the Bible is designed to reveal spiritual truths, it sometimes deals
in scientific facts. CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 2
3. Where it comments on those facts, we can expect it to be correct
because of God's infinite understanding.
4. While man's knowledge of science has been rather limited until recent
years, the Bible's handling of scientific facts is accurate despite man's
5. This is a great proof of inspiration, namely, that inspired writers had
knowledge of things about which man didn't know for hundreds,
sometimes thousands of years. Bible writers penned many scientific
truths that were way ahead of their times to be discovered by man.
6. What are some of these scientific facts in the scriptures? Let’s examine
a number of them as classified under individual headings or
classifications within the field of science.
ASTRONOMY & SPACE
THE EARTH HANGS ON NOTHING
PATHS OF THE SEA PSALM 8:5-8 – For You have made him a little lower
than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor.
6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You
have put all things under his feet,
7 All sheep and oxen -- Even the beasts of the field,
8 The birds of the air, And the fish of the sea That pass
through the paths of the seas.
A. Matthew Fontaine Maury "Pathfinder of the Seas"
1. Born in 1806. Entered U.S. Navy in 1925.
2. After injury devoted life to study of Oceanography. Published several
books on the subject.
3. "I have been blamed by men of science, both in this country and in
England, for quoting the Bible in confirmation of the doctrines of physical
geography. The Bible, they say, was not written for scientific purposes,
and is therefore no authority in matters of science. I beg pardon! The
Bible is authority for everything it touches. What would you think of an
historian who should refuse to consult historical records of the Bible,
because the Bible was not written for the purposes of history? The Bible
is true and science is true" Lewis, Charles Lee (1927), Matthew
Fontaine Maury: The Pathfinder of the Seas (Annapolis, MD: United
States Naval Institute, 1969 reprint by AMS Press, New York).
4. On a statue honoring his memory Psalm 8:8 is cited.
B. What is so significant about Psalm 8:8?
1. In the context, the Psalmist is considering the greatness of God's CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 3
2. The Psalmist is lauding how God created man to have dominion.
3. One of the things over which man has dominion is over "Whatsoever
passes through the paths of the sea."
4. It is this expression that is significant.
5. Maury acknowledged the authority of this expression and in so doing it
aided him in his oceanographic efforts.
6. How could David have known that there were "paths in the sea" without
THE WATER CYCLE ( ECCLESIASTES 1:7)
A. Ecclesiastes 1:7 states, All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not
full; To the place from which the rivers come, There they return again
1. This is a basic understanding of what we call "The Water Cycle."
2. Waters from rivers flow into the ocean.
a. The Mississippi dumps 6,052,500 gallons of water per second into
the Gulf of Mexico.
b. Yet the sea is not full.
3. The ocean evaporates.
4. Water returns to land in the form of clouds.
5. The water returns to the rivers in the form of precipitation.
B. The idea of a complete water cycle.
1. The idea was not developed until the sixteenth and seventeenth
2. First proposed by Pierre Perrault and Edme Mariotte.
3. How could the writers of the Bible know 2000 years prior to this work?
NOAH'S ARK ( GENESIS 6)
A. The size of the ark.
1. The design of the ark was to be 300 cubits long by 50 cubits wide by 30
2. This is a ratio of 30 to 5 to 3.
3. It was 450 feet long by conservative measurements.
4. It was the largest sea going vessel ever recorded prior to 1858.
B. Modern Shipbuilding
1. In 1844 Isambard K. Brunnel built the Great Britain. It's dimensions
were the same as the ark's: 30 to 5 to 3.
2. These dimensions are the perfect ratio for a seaworthy vessel.
3. Shipbuilders during the 2nd World War used these dimensions to build
ships. CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 4
4. How did Noah know the perfect dimensions for a large sea going
5. He had no previous experience upon which to draw.
SPRINGS OF THE SEA AND RECESSES OF THE DEEP ( JOB 38:16)
1. God told Job in Job 38:16 – “Have you entered the springs of the sea? Or
have you walked in search of the depths?”
B. Springs of the sea.
1. Oceanographic maps show springs in the ocean.
2. How could the writer of the book know?
3. They had no instruments, equipment, or devices to discover such.
C. Recesses/Trenches of the deep.
1. In previous centuries, man considered the oceans to be relatively
2. Today we know that the Atlantic and Pacific oceans have trenches in
3. The ocean plummets to 6.8 miles (11.0 km) at its deepest and
averages 2.4 miles (3.8 km), not including seas that don't connect to the
ocean, such as the Caspian Sea.
3. How could the writers have know such without the means to discover it?
LIFE IS IN THE BLOOD ( LEVITICUS 17:11-14)
A. Moses wrote to the children of Israel that the life of the flesh was in the
blood. Leviticus 17:11-14 – “For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I
have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it
is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.'
12 Therefore I said to the children of Israel, 'No one among you shall eat
blood, nor shall any stranger who dwells among you eat blood.'
13 "Whatever man of the children of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell
among you, who hunts and catches any animal or bird that may be eaten,
he shall pour out its blood and cover it with dust;
14 for it is the life of all flesh. Its blood sustains its life. Therefore I said to
the children of Israel, 'You shall not eat the blood of any flesh, for the life of
all flesh is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off.'
B. This is literally true.
1. Our blood carries oxygen, removes waste, carries nutrients and many
other things that sustain man's life.
2. Each red blood cell carries 270,000,000 molecules of hemoglobin.
3. Yet, the men and women who founded this country thought that men
could be cured from disease by bleeding them.
4.Many died from being bled until they couldn't sustain their own life.
5. Yet the answer was in Leviticus 17:11-14 all the time. Without blood, CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 5
6. How did Moses know such?
THE SEED OF MAN AND WOMAN ( GENESIS 3:15)
1. In Genesis 3:15 we are told that woman has a “seed.” “And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed;
2. In past years many thought that the woman was no more than an
"incubator" for man's seed.
3. We know today that it takes both male and female to produce offspring.
EATING FLESH OF SWINE ( DEUTERONOMY 14:8)
A. The Israelites were forbidden to eat the flesh of swine. Deuteronomy 14:8 –
“Also the swine is unclean for you, because it has cloven hooves, yet does
not chew the cud; you shall not eat their flesh or touch their dead
B. This was one of their dietary laws.
C. Pigs are scavengers; they eat just about anything they come across.
D. In so doing they pick up different organisms like:
1. Trichinella spiralis, which is the cause of trichinosis.
2. The tapeworm Taenia solium
3. The parasite Echinococcus granulosis, which causes tumors in the liver,
E. Uncooked swine flesh can be very harmful to humans.
F. The Mosaic dietary restrictions were remarkable in their preventative
G. How did Moses compile such a list of dietary restrictions designed to keep
CONSIDER ALSO THE BURIAL OF HUMAN WASTE ( DEUTERONOMY
A. The common practice was to just throw the waste into the street or whatever
place one could find. Deuteronomy 12:12-14 – “And you shall rejoice
before the LORD your God, you and your sons and your daughters, your
male and female servants, and the Levite who is within your gates, since
he has no portion nor inheritance with you.
13 Take heed to yourself that you do not offer your burnt offerings in
every place that you see;
14 but in the place which the LORD chooses, in one of your tribes, there
you shall offer your burnt offerings, and there you shall do all that I
B. We know that bubonic plague results from such unsanitary behavior.
C. There are other diseases as well that come about as a result of this. CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 6
D. Today we bury our waste, but Moses knew that many years ago. How?
CIRCUMCISION ( GENESIS 17:12)
A. God commanded circumcision to be on the eighth day.
1. Genesis 17:12 – “He who is eight days old among you shall be
circumcised, every male child in your generations, he who is born in
your house or bought with money from any foreigner who is not your
2. Why not sooner or later?
B. It has been shown medically that the eighth day is when the human body
produces the most vitamin K.
C. What does it do? It helps the body form blood clots which is important in
D. If that vitamin was not present, then the baby would bleed to death.
E. But it is on this day that the level of the vitamin is naturally the highest due
to the action of naturally occurring bacteria in the intestinal tract.
F. It is on that day that God said to circumcise.
G. How would Abraham have know this? Only the creator could have known it.
LEVITICAL SEXUAL CODE ( LEVITICUS 18:5)
A. The text says, Leviticus 18:5 says – 'None of you shall approach anyone
who is near of kin to him, to uncover his nakedness: I am the LORD.
B. Procreation with close kin produces sick and diseased offspring.
C. Samaritans in the West Bank are of Israel, north of Jerusalem.
D. How did Moses know that following such standards of sexual conduct would
E. Look at all the STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) today because people
chose to commit homosexuality, lesbianism, fornication, and adultery in
spite of God’s moral laws for human all beings.
F. Exodus 15:25 – “None of these diseases.” Reference to the diseases and
calamities that had come upon the Egyptians and the Israelites because of
sin and rebellion, would come upon them in right living.
EXAMPLE AFTER EXAMPLE IN THE BIBLE . . . BARNES BIBLE CHARTS
LISTS SOME 31 SUCH EXAMPLES IN TWO CHARTS ENTITLED THE
BIBLE & SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY LOCATED AT
A. BOTH MEN AND WOMEN POSSESS “SEED OF LIFE.”
1. Discovered in
2. Genesis 3:15 – “And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And
between your seed and her Seed . . . “ HER seed. CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 7
3. Genesis 22:18 – “In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be
blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.” HIS seed.
B. LIGHTNING IS PRODUCED BY RAIN.
1. Man discovered that in the 1800s.
2. Two almost identical passages::
a. Jeremiah 10:13 – “When He utters His voice, There is a multitude of
waters in the heavens: "And He causes the vapors to ascend from
the ends of the earth. He makes lightning for the rain, He brings the
wind out of His treasuries.”
b. Jeremiah 51:16 – “When He utters His voice -- There is a multitude of
waters in the heavens: "He causes the vapors to ascend from the
ends of the earth; He makes lightnings for the rain; He brings the
wind out of His treasuries.”
C. THERE IS A VOID SPACE IN THE NORTH.
1. Man discovered that in 1918.
2. Job 26:7 – “He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the
earth on nothing.”
D. THE EARTH IS HELD BY INVISIBLE FORCES.
1. Man discovered that in 1650.
2. Job 26:7 – “ . . . He hangs the earth on nothing.”
E. TAXONOMICAL CLASSIFICATIONS OF MATTER.
1. Man discovered that in 1735
2. Genesis 1 had already revealed that.
F. CREATION SUCCESSION: (Water . . . life . . . plants . . . etc.)
1. Discovered in the 1600s
2. Genesis 1 had already revealed it.
G. THE EARTH IS ROUND . . . NOT FLAT . . . NOT SQUARE . . . etc.
1. Man finally discovered that in the 1400s.
2. Two passages:
a. Isaiah 40:22 – “It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its
inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like
a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.”
b. Proverbs 8:27 – “When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When
He drew a circle on the face of the deep.”
H. Day and night occur simultaneously on the earth.
1. Man discovered that in the 1500s.
2 Jesus had said in Luke 17:31-36 – “In that day, he who is on the
housetop, and his goods are in the house, let him not come down to
take them away. And likewise the one who is in the field, let him not turn
32 Remember Lot's wife. CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 8
33 Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his
life will preserve it.
34 I tell you, in that night there will be two men in one bed: the one
will be taken and the other will be left.
35 two women will be grinding together: the one will be taken and the
36 two men will be in the field: the one will be taken and the other left."
37 And they answered and said to Him, ‘Where, Lord?" So He said to
them, ‘Wherever the body is, there the eagles will be gathered
I. Certain animals carry diseases transmittable to man.
1. Man discovered that in the 1600s.
2. God had already established that in Leviticus 11.
J. Diagnosis of Leprosy.
1. Man learned to do that in the 1700s.
2. God had already described that in Leviticus 13.
K. Principle of Quarantine.
1. Man discovered the necessity of such in the 1700s
2. God had already set it forth in Leviticus 12.
L. Blood Necessary for Life.
1. Man discovered that in the 1700s.
2. Leviticus 17:11 – “For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have
given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is
the blood that makes atonement for the soul.”
M. The Human Body can be Opened under Anesthetic.
1. The medical field discovered that in the 1600s.
2. Genesis 2:21 – “And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on
Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh
in its place.”
N. The Oceans have Natural Lanes in Them . . . The Paths of the Sea.”
1. Man made this discovery in 1854.
2. Psalm 8:8 – “. . . And the fish of the sea That pass through the paths of
O. The Earth was a Nebulous Form in its Creation.
1. Man discovered that in 1911.
2. Genesis 1:2 – “The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was
on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the f
ace of the waters.”
P. The Best ratio for ships is 30 x 5 x 3.
1. Man reached that conclusion in 1860.
2. God had already established that truth in Genesis 6.
Q. Certain Woods are better for Shipbuilding than are others. CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 9
1. Man discovered that in
2. God showed Noah that truth in Genesis 6.
R. Light has Mass.
1. Man discovered that in 1932.
2. Job 38:19-20 – “Where is the way to the dwelling of light? And
darkness, where is its place,
20 That you may take it to its territory, That you may know the paths
to its home?”
S. There is more than One Ocean.
1. I do not currently have the date of that discovery.
2. Genesis 1:10 - “And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering
together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good.”
T. Oceans have Fresh Water Springs in Them.
1. Man discovered that in 1902.
2. Job 38:16 – “Have you entered the springs of the sea? Or have you
walked in search of the depths?”
U. Snow is Valuable both Aesthetically and Materially.
1. Man discovered that in 1905 or 1906.
2. Two passages:
a. Job 38:32 – “Have you entered the treasury of snow . . .”
b. Isaiah 55:10 - “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from
heaven, And do not return there, But water the earth, And make it
bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower And bread to
V. There are an infinite number of stars.
1. Man discovered that in 1940.
2. Two Passages:
a. Genesis 15:5 – “Then He brought him outside and said, ‘Look now
toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them."
And He said to him, ‘So shall your descendants be.’”
b. Hebrews 11:12 – “Therefore from one man, and him as good as
dead, were born as many as the stars of the sky in multitude --
innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore.”
3. God has named everyone of the stars He has created. Psalm 147:4 -
“He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name.”
W. Stars give off Infinite Frequencies that can be interpreted.
1. Discovered in 1945.
2. Job 38:7 – “When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of
God shouted for joy.”
X. Dust is important to our survival.
1. Discovered in 1935
2. Isaiah 40:12 – “Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, CHRISTIAN EVIDENCES – “Scientific Foreknowledge of the Bible” 10
Measured heaven with a span And calculated the dust of the earth in a
measure? Weighed the mountains in scales And the hills in a balance?”
Y. Air has Weight.
1. Discovered in 1500.
2. Job 28:25 – “To establish a weight for the wind, And apportion the
waters by measure.”
Z. Light can be parted into Colors.
1. Discovered in 1650.
2. Job 38:24 – “By what way is light diffused, Or the east wind scattered
over the earth?”
AA. Sun- Plant Chlorophyll Relationship.
1. Discovered in the 1920s.
2. Job 8:26 – “He grows green in the sun, And his branches spread out in
BB. Lightning and Thunder are Related.
1. Discovered in the 1850s.
2. Job 38:25 – “"Who has divided a channel for the overflowing water, Or
a path for the thunderbolt,
CC. Constellations Possess Forces.
1. Discovered in the 1950s.
2. Job 38:31 – “Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the
belt of Orion?”
DD. Water Cycle.
1. Discovered sometime later than 1600.
2. Ecclesiastes 1:7 – “All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not
full; To the place from which the rivers come, There they return
EE. Continents have Been Divided form Each Other.
1. Discovered in 1968.
2. Genesis 1:9 – “Then God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be
gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear"; and it
A. Does the Bible display adequate scientific foreknowledge to show that it
could only have come from God?
B. There are many more items that we could discuss and study.
C. These few should be sufficient to show that when the Bible states scientific
facts that they are accurate even when man's knowledge of such things is